Saturday, September 10, 2011

Epiphone SG - Modifications complete. (For Now!)

Yes indeedee! My upgrade kit arrived for the SG and after fitting I am blown away! I cant believe what a huge difference this has made! If you want to read the previous post regarding this upgrade follow this link. http://guitarfeenz.blogspot.com/2011/07/epiphone-sg-bought-and-under.html

The upgrade kit I ordered came from Stewart McDonald in Ohio. Took about 3 weeks to arrive at my local post office here in South Africa and was worth every minute of the wait. I installed the Golden Age Pickups. Re-wired the entire guitar using high quality cables, posts, sockets and switches. This upgrade alone resulted in a massive improvement in tone. It was mammoth! Really! The guitar has character now. It sings and jives. It used to just kind of plod along and horrible cut through that really didn't sound good. It used to sound like an old fella with a cold trying to get up the stairs. Now it sounds more like a hot blond in a Ferrari on a summer afternoon driving to Vegas! I cant believe how much of an upgrade this has been. I actually want to record with this guitar now, because nothing else I have sounds quite like it. And the pickups look pretty sick too! It doesn't look like a "standard" guitar anymore.


I also replaced the stock bridge with a Gotoh tune-a-matic, this resulted in a huge improvement all round. It sorted out the fret buzz on the 19th and seemed to improve sustain quite noticeably. The Gotoh bridges are very affordable and extremely well made. I am seriously glad I put it in the order. I did have my little F**kups along the way, but the installation process was very educational, I learned a lot about guitars while doing it. In fact it inspired me to build my first working guitar pedal. Follow this link http://guitarfeenz.blogspot.com/2011/09/blog-post.html (And amazingly cool hobby for any electronerd)

So thats it really. If you want to get great tones from a "budget" guitar. Get an upgrade! Think the whole upgrade cost me just under $150 excluding shipping and import duties. And my guitar now sounds like a serious instrument. In fact, my real Gibson has been gathering dust for the first time in 10 years.

Here are some more photos.



0 comments:

Sections

Powered By Blogger