Monday, May 16, 2011

Kiso - Suzuki W65A Hummingbird Part 2.

Well, here it is. The actual guitar is a great example. Beautiful finish with a real feel of quality. The first guitar I ever played was a friends dad's Suzuki which has still got a great tone all these years later. This Hummingbird "copy" is extremely close in quality to their Gibson counter parts having compared it with my "late" Gibson JC-180 I can honestly say that the build quality and finish is definitely on par with the Gibson. Although I'm not sure about the inlays. Are they pearl, like the Gibson or are they plastic. I am leaning towards the latter. The tuners also seem a little cheap. Perhaps they are not original but feel like they belong on one of those Cort abominations. Apart from that everything looks sweet. Binding is very good and bridge design looks excellent. No major fading or belt rash on the body just a bit of sticky substance near the bottom strap hook. Beautiful sunburst finish that does look a little brighter (Cheaper) than the Gibson counterpart.

So what is wrong with the guitar? Well,,,,, not all that much. The body is fine and with the old stretched strings on, intonation seemed very good. Tone also seemed to be very nice. Fretbuzz is the problem with a quite apparent flat/back bow to the neck. It buzzes around th 12th fret but all good round the 1st - 6th. Action is obviously a little low. My logic is telling me that some new strings would increase the tension on the neck and perhaps promote a little more front bow. So I dont want to look at any truss rod adjustments until I have a better idea of string tension after restringing. If the guitar gods are looking down on me, its all this beaut is going to need. But as Murphy is one of my best friends, I seriously doubt that. The thing is, If there is some neck adjustments needed, who do I take it to? I can do most things, but a bowed neck is something for a pro to look at. Problem is, here is South Africa a guitar pro is a very difficult thing to come by, there are loads of idiots pretending to be pro's who actually end up screwing your guitar up. (It happened to a Takamine I took to the local guitar shop for bridge repairs. They really screwed it up!)

----------------------------- UPDATE!-------------------------------------------------

Ha ! I was just informed that Gibson also use plastic for their inlays! Next time I'm in the market for a $3500 Les Paul I will look with suspicion. It better sound bloody good! 


Right! So this is the plan of action!
  1. De-string (Done)
  2. Clean (Done)
  3. Sit around looking at it (Done for now)
  4. Restring
  5. Take it from there I guess. (I'm still learning, perhaps I will have a better idea by then)
I know these steps seem a little lame and obvious, but its a process. Tune in for part 3 for the results and sound test. 

7 comments:

lupus x said...

Hi there in SA,

pretty interesing thread about an instrument I have just bought on eb... in germany. i payed 75,00 EUR, so i guess it is a real bargain. :-)

My guitar has the original looking white plastic tuners and 2 dove inlays left and right on the adjustable brigde. the inlay are definately perl and no plastic :-)) the guitar was build in 1973 !!! it needs some repair and some pilish, new strings and then... PLAY IT, YEAH!

would love to read more about your Hummi...

greetz lupus x, germany

Rocky Dee said...

Thats great! What a bargain! Would love to see a picture off it.

Perhaps it might be a cool idea to get other Kiso Suzuki owners to add to this blog.

Would you be interested in contributing with a short article and a pic or 2?

Rocky Dee said...

Dont know if I mentioned it some where in the post. But my one was given to me by my new boss. Guess he's a nice guy. :)

I remember by buddies dads one. The first guitar I ever played. My buddie is still looking for one. He too lazy for eBay though, just sits around moaning all day about not having his dads Suzuki. They really are great guitars. Everyone I have had a buzz on have melted in my hands. Clean that sucker up and get strumming. :)

Rocky Dee said...

How do you know it was built in 1973?

The serial numbers dont mean nothing.

Unknown said...

Guess WOT ! I've got a W-65 H serial no. 91160. I am led to believe that 9 denotes 1979.

Unknown said...

I've got in W-65 H also I got when I was thirteen for a c nite but I can't find the serial number do you know where it is located at it is a very nice sound to it still after 42 years

Geoff said...

I have the same model, and have owned it since 1980. Serial number is 90743, and my label is square,not round. I'm told that round labels on this model were introduced after 1979-80.I'm also reliably informed that the first digit of the serial denotes the year, eg:9 = 1979.Happy to be corrected though! A great quality instrument with a beautiful tone.

Sections

Powered By Blogger